BCP is recruiting a Conservation Assistant for our LUNDAZI Site. The primary function of the Conservation Assistant is to ensure that conservation is enhanced through Law enforcement efforts, key stakeholder engagement strategies, and land management activities. The job title is focused on ensuring good positive impacts toward biodiversity through practical support to the Community Scout teams. The position will report to the Conservation Officer.
PRIORITIES THAT WE’LL TRUST YOU WITH:
This is a field-based position that requires a wide range of field-based skills in rural and remote locations and has the following;
- Ensuring that the Lundazi site strategic conservation plan is effectively implemented and contributing to the overall vision and mission of BCP.
- Ensuring strategic partnership-building and engagement with relevant key stakeholders and local communities on conservation and related issues.
- Maintaining cordial relationships with communities neighboring the Lundazi site and assisting CET when necessary in overlapping Community/Conservation development initiatives.
- With the emphasis on habitat preservation, supporting joint encroachment monitoring, and natural resource protection activities and operations.
- Supervise Community scouts and others conducting REDD+ zone operations and monitoring in all the Chiefdoms under the Lundazi site.
- As required and according to agreed standards, ensuring the establishment and implementation of appropriate site tasking and reporting systems that will be used in information sharing and measuring performance against the Conservation Plan.
- Coordinating and providing logistical support to conservation staff and activities.
- Managing field data collection, storage, analysis, and sharing. This includes but is not limited to the management of SMART and the security dashboard.
- Budgeting for and procurement of Scouts rations and Patrol gear.
- Assisting in the recruitment of conservation staff.
- Preparing scouts timesheet, attendance register, and patrol bonus register on a monthly basis.
- Perform any other task, as allocated from time to time.
- Supporting joint anti-poaching activities and operations.
ALLIANCE BUILDERS WANTED:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Wildlife Management or any other relevant discipline from a reputable institution.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a similar conservation role.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Strong skills in project planning, implementation, and management.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships at all levels, including with local communities, and government agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and most of the local languages.
- Demonstrated experience working with local government personnel and local communities.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of Microsoft suite (MS word, PowerPoint, MS Excel).
- Adherence to BCP and donor regulations and policies.
- Knowledge of National policies and rural approaches towards conservation.
WE EVEN DO BENEFITS DIFFERENTLY:
As an equal opportunity employer, a competitive salary will be offered, plus training, plus the potential for performance bonuses, plus travel opportunities for work, plus health benefits, plus a great work culture, plus career growth, plus working with a diverse and committed team.
Candidates interested in joining an innovative and high-performance team, and working towards doing amazing things in conservation technology and livelihoods, please send a CV, a cover letter, 3 reference contacts, and anything else that makes your application stand out by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Conservation Assistant – Lundazi in the subject line. Please also send anything else that will help your application stand out.
Females are encouraged to apply.
Applications are accepted from 6th September 2022 until the position is filled.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
If an applicant receives no response within a 30-day period, they should consider their application unsuccessful.