BCP is recruiting for a Sector Manager (SM) to cover the Lower Zambezi REDD+ Project (LZRP) and the Luangwa Community Forest Project (LCFP) – Lusaka (located in Chinyunyu). The Sector Manager is responsible for achieving REDD+ project objectives, milestones, and outputs for the assigned sector. The Sector manager will report directly to the Provincial Manager and will oversee and direct Chiefdom Leads, Conservation Coordinators, Agriculture Officers, Fleet administrators, and Sourcing Officers. The Sector Manager will also collaborate with HR, Communications, Policy Impact Monitoring, Carbon Accounting, ESMS & LRF to achieve BCP’s Site Annual Work Plan milestones and outputs and sector-level Top Goals. The SM role takes accountability for the coordination of monthly and quarterly planning and coordination meetings with key sector-level stakeholders and reporting of Project milestones at the sector level to the Project Coordinator. This is a leadership role and a critical one within BCP.
- The management, supervision, and development of the assigned sector.
- Support local communities living within the assigned project areas to gain lasting benefits through financial returns realized from REDD+ finance mechanisms.
- Achieve broad participation within the communities on the Site and ensure special attention is given to the inclusion of marginalized and differently-abled members and groups in the community.
- Develop and nurture relationships with stakeholders (GRZ, NGOs, Private Sector, and Community) at the Site level to further the positive impacts of REDD.
- Coordinate the consolidation of sector-wide monthly reports and communicate the milestones and impacts
- Ensure that participation of key stakeholders (GRZ, NGOs, Private Sector, and Community) in project delivery;
- AWP development & implementation follows appropriate participatory approaches such as FPIC.
- Organize and facilitate weekly meetings with Site Operations Management Team to review and document project risk and plan mitigation measures.
- Escalate to PM any significant project risks likely to affect the smooth implementation of project activities
- Coordinate daily with all stakeholders operating on the same landscape implementing REDD+ or similar conservation initiatives; document lessons learned that will positively influence the implementation of project activities.
- Ensure the site is compliant with BCP policies such as ESMS, LRF, and BCorp and implement all recommendations of the periodic audits (VCS, CCB, FA, etc), and ensure compliance.
- Identify local socioeconomic activities and incorporate these in interventions that advance REDD+ activities.
- Support the structuring and strengthening of the local government and community structures for improved natural resource management.
- Support the delivery of services outsourced to third-party organizations.
- Ensure data collected by field teams are appropriately validated and uploaded for effective management and decision-making.
Human Resources and Planning:
- Provide backstopping support to the field teams lead by the Chiefdom lead.
- Build capacities of partners, CFMGs, and project teams based on the results of the training needs assessment.
- Provide technical advice/ support to partners and project team.
- Support Human Resources with the recruitment of staff in all Site positions as per the approved Site Organogram and ensure succession is built at all levels.
- Develops a site capacity development program and coordinate all capacity development of staff based on a gaps identification process guided by a rigorous performance management program.
- Ensure timely delivery of all site staff performance evaluations to PC.
- Ensure staff is aware of BCP policies and adhere to these for efficient operation.
- Prepare implementation and monitoring plans and deliver results as per approved plans for all the projects.
- Oversee and support CLs and facilitate quarterly AWP review meetings with key stakeholders.
- Coordinate monthly planning sessions with Chiefdom Leads, Conservation Coordinator Sourcing Officer, Agriculture Officer, and Finance & Administration Officer to ensure improved collaboration between teams in the implementation of REDD+ activities.
- Lead the development of the Sector AWP by setting objectives and targets aligned to BCP and Project’s Strategic Plan and Top Goals as well as the National Goals.
- Participate and coordinate Monthly/Quarterly coordination meetings with Key stakeholders at the DDCC level.
- Support PC in the development of strategies to mitigate identified project risks.
- Prepare and submit annual procurement and monitoring plans.
Alliance Builders Wanted:
Qualifications in a related field such as a Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Project Management, Community Development, or any relevant field.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree is an added advantage.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years relevant work in a similar sector.
- Experience with MS Office and GIS packages is an added advantage.
- Project Management training requirement.
- Advanced report writing.
- Excellent community facilitation and working knowledge of participatory approaches to development.
- Knowledge of community mobilization and capacity building amongst community institutions.
- Exceptional team building and management skills.
- Understanding that the role will require the candidate to sometimes camp in basic conditions and to be independently mobile, including the use of motor vehicles and motorbikes as means of transportation.
- The ability to multitask and prioritize tasks demonstrates excellent time management skills with well-developed organizational skills.
- Demonstrate attention to detail with great verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate professional discretion.
Candidates interested in joining an innovative and high-performance team, and working towards doing amazing things in conservation technology and livelihoods, please send a CV, a cover letter, 3 reference contacts and anything else that makes your application stand out by following this link:
With Sector Manager – Chinyunyu in the subject line.
Please also send anything else that will help your application stand out.
Applications are accepted from 3rd April 2023 until the position is filled.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Females are highly encouraged to apply.
If an applicant receives no response within a 30-day period, they should consider their application unsuccessful.